SURF AND TURF
- 1 chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 tomato chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 kg Mussels, beards removed
- 1 Stubbie of your favourite beer
- 1 cup spring onions sliced
- 1 cup parsley
- In a large pot over a high heat (you want your pot or camp oven to be smoking hot!), add the chorizo, onion, garlic, bay leaves, celery, and tomato.
- Carefully add the oil, and then quickly stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now you can add a pinch of salt and pepper, but be careful not to overdo it, chorizo and mussels are already naturally quite salty.
- Now it’s time to add the cleaned mussels and the beer. Feel free to keep a beer spare for the cook!
- Cover with tight fitting lid so that the liquid will create plenty of steam to cook the mussels in.
- After five or six minutes or when mussels are opened and cooked, add parsley and spring onion, stir through and serve!
- Enjoy this dish with a crispy cold beer, or a lovely bottle of white!